The journey is the reward

A picture tells a hundred different stories, this is about my photo and caption of the stories from the author Anchee Min on the 2 novels - Empress Orchid and The Last Empress. 


manchu

My strength began to disappear.  I saw the carved dragons on the ceiling  I remembered I had dreamed of these dragon before I entered the Forbidden City. Now I have seen them all 13,844 of them.  A thick white fog enfolded me. In the middle of the fog, was the a soft egg yolk like a red sun. The yolk began to sway like a Chinese lantern in a gentle breeze. I heard ancient music and recognized the sound. I remember him tying whistles and bells on the birds' leg. I saw them now. Hundreds of thousand of white pigeons flew across the pavilion pathway. The tune was " Wuhu, My Lovely Hometown". 

machu4

Remember, beauty is not the only measurement at the selection. You can lose because you are too poor to bribe the eunuchs, who will in turn find a way to point out your shortcoming to  His and Her Majesties.By the end, His and Her Majesties' eyes wouldn't register beauty anymore, and that's why most of the Imperial wives and concubines are ugly.  


manchu7

If you will take advice, my friend, 

For wealth you will not care
But while fresh youth is in you 
Each precious moment spare
When flowers are fit for culling
Pluck them as you may
Ah ! Wait not till the bloom be gone 
To bear a twig away. 

machu2
I have been living inside these walls... Only the dusty winds of the desert penetrates. Two and a half miles of walls and the two hundred and fifty acres enclosed have been my world and yours. ..

machu7
To give it up is to accept your fate
To give it up is to create peace
To give it up is to gain the upper hand, and 
To give it up is to have all.

The End 

Notes:- 
All the writings on this post does not belongs to me. It was from the books called The Last Empress and  Empress Orchid. I love the story of The Last Empress of China, not because she is holding the power of monarchy, but I love her courage, her persistence, and her ability of a woman to rise beyond all others on her era.

Comments